WHY USE A REALTOR?
Everyone wants to maximize their return on investment. Therefore, the sale must occur in a sufficient timeframe. If the home sits on the market for an extended period of time, buyers wonder what’s wrong with it.
Furthermore, it has been said that selling a home is much easier while someone is still living in it. Furnishings evoke personal warmth that can be lacking in an occupied, bare wall atmosphere.
Is There a Difference Between a Real Estate Agent and a REALTOR®?
There is a common misconception among the public that real estate agents are synonymous with REALTORS®. This couldn’t be further from the truth. REALTORS® are agents who belong to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), the largest trade organization in the Nation.
Our affiliation with the State and National Association of REALTORS® allows our member agents to use and display the REALTOR® trademark which distinguishes REALTOR® members from all other agents practicing real estate out in the field. It is important to understand that the term “REALTOR®” is not a synonym for real estate agent. Only members of the aforementioned associations can use the REALTOR® trademark; the symbol denotes education, experience and high standards of practice in the industry backed by the National Association of REALTORS® Code of Ethics. This code protects homebuyers and sellers from unethical business practices and provides recourse for the consumer in cases otherwise.
Professional competence is critical when making a decision regarding real estate; it is second only to a thorough knowledge of the marketplace. You can certainly rely on a our REALTOR® members’ extensive knowledge of the Nevada County marketplace and their strict adherence to a Code of Ethics and higher standard of service to help you explore your options and make informed decisions.
With that much experience working for you, you can expect superior results. Our brokers and sales associates can give you up-to-the-minute information on activity in the market utilizing the latest in technology from our multiple listing database system and ancillary services. REALTOR® members advertise current listings and related property data in the local MLS Service, union.com, realtor.com, eneighborhoods.com and cyberhomes.com among the many other marketing venues. Throughout the years, the MLS has proven to be a useful tool in selling and purchasing our local Sierra foothill properties.
Maximum Exposure is the Key
Consulting in a REALTOR® who is experienced and utilizes the proper marketing tools will help ensure a more efficient sale with maximum return – the key to selling fast and achieving “top dollar” is good exposure. Sure, you can purchase a sign and advertise through the newspaper and internet. Yet, working with a REALTOR® will provide you with immediate exposure to the real estate community, local, state and national marketing platforms and assure you that the proper disclosures and legal documents will be used to secure a successful transaction close.
A REALTOR® can expedite the selling process in many other ways:
- By specializing in real estate, a REALTOR® knows market values and can provide you with the appropriate comparable listing and sales data necessary to help you set a competitive price for your home.
- A REALTOR® assisting can reduce the hassles associated with showing your home and screening out people who are merely curious to see what is on the market in the neighborhood.
- A REALTOR® provides an objective perspective when negotiating with buyers and experienced in reading the fine print of contracts.
- By staying on top of the market disclosure and legal issues, a REALTOR® may know how to wade through what could have been transaction and escrow turmoil and clinch the sale for you.
- Selling a home is not something to be done in your off hours. It is one of the largest and most complex financial transaction you will experience in your lifetime. Just as you would see a doctor with a serious illness or an attorney to resolve a legal issue, selling your home is a specialized service best done by a REALTOR® professional.
- Marketing your property through the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) maximizes your listing exposure to a broader audience.
REALTORS® industry knowledge can guide you and help you avoid costly delays and mistakes.
- You may only buy or sell a few times in your lifetime….REALTORS® perform these transactions everyday!
Should I Use a REALTOR® to Purchase?
Purchasing a property is one of the single most important decisions you will make in your lifetime; it is exciting and personal yet stressful experience. Sure, you can do your homework on the internet, find the appropriate neighborhood, drive by prospective properties and seek out comparables. But the truth be told that a local REALTOR® knows the schools, community infrastructure and area disclosures. They can help you understand financial options and identify qualified Affiliates such as lenders, inspectors, title and escrow officers to help assist with the transactions Again, there is no better way of gaining a broader perspective and assurance involving one of the most important decisions in your life. There is no one better way to deal with your real estate needs than to trust and work with a local REALTOR®. Look for the REALTOR® “R” Trademark and you know that you are working with an agent who is “Committed to a Higher Standard.
Choosing A REALTOR®
Like finding the right house, selecting a REALTOR® you can trust and comfortably work with is paramount. Just as you wouldn’t be casual in the selection of your doctor or your attorney, you shouldn’t take the selection of your REALTOR® lightly. Indeed, the best way to find such a professional is through recommendations from family and friends. Of course, you should interview several REALTORS® before you choose one. If you’re selling your home, you should ask the candidates how they plan to market your home, what pricing advice they can offer, and what other suggestions they can provide to further enhance the desirability of your home. Whether you’re buying or selling, ask candidates about the transaction to evaluate their knowledge. Ask for–and check–references. And, finally, ask yourself whether you will feel comfortable working closely with this individual in the months ahead.
Does the Company participate in the MLS?
- Does the Agent specialize in Buyers or Sellers or both?
- Does the Agent specialize in specific neighborhoods? Does the Agent know the area you are interest in?
- How will the Agent handle marketing your home or presenting your offer to the Seller?
- What types of transactions has the Agent completed over the past two years?
- Is the Agent a REALTOR®?
After you have interviewed a sufficient number of REALTORS®, select the agent you feel most comfortable with. Every person has their own business strategy and personality just as we all do. In the end, select the agent who exemplifies the professional you are seeking; this person should be enthusiastic about selling your home or assisting you with a purchase. You want someone that you can talk with and who you know will listen to your needs. Remember that not every real estate broker or agent is a REALTOR®. REALTORS® have pledged themselves to adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and are members of the local, state and national associations, offering a broad range of services to agents and their clients from educational services and disclosure updates to the most current real estate forms created and reviewed by qualified legal counsel.
To obtain assistance, please feel free to contact us directly at the Nevada County Association of REALTORS offices at 530-272-2627.
"Lacinia neque platea ipsum amet est odio aenean id quisque."